UFL on the Pocket PC

Discuss anything about UFL or The UFL Manager.

Moderators: JoeMontana, Benjamin

Wisnoodles

UFL on the Pocket PC

Post by Wisnoodles »

I am so excited, I can't believe after months of searching I finally found a football sim for my pocket pc. I can't wait to play tonight after I get off of work. I can take the UFL with me everywhere I go by using PocketDos and the UFL dos version that I found here. I love campaigns without all the graphics (aka Madden). There is more strategy for this type. Its like where did all the good games go, ones that enhanced your imagination. Thanks for the sight and software, you've made my day.
Wis
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

Wisnoodles, that is great idea. Please let me know how well the DOS version of UFL runs on your Pocket PC! :)
Wisnoodles

Post by Wisnoodles »

This runs perfect!! I am trying to sneak in the game a little bit. How do you get to the schedule, I don't see one though to play, all it asks if it is a league game. Please help I leave work soon and wanna start tonight.
Wis
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

I am confused by your question, but I will try to explain. When you go to play a UFL game, it will ask if you want a league game. If you say yes, you will be taken to the regular season schedule where you can play season games and the stats and results from the games will be saved. If you say no, you will be given a screen where you can select 2 teams to play an exhibition game (no stats or results will be saved).

However, most UFL players will not want to use the default league that comes with UFL. Most people like to create their own league using the Commissioner section. Then they would use the Edit Teams or Players option to give the teams different nicknames and cities, etc.

I hope this helps and does not confuse you. :)

Please let me know if you have more questions.
Wisnoodles

Post by Wisnoodles »

Yeah, I admit, I'm a dork. Anyhow thanks for the tip sorry to confuse. I just got confused when it asked if it was a league game and I hadn't even seen a schedule for it yet. But my first year is up and running. Thanks a bunch. Also I wanted to let you know I posted links to the website on my forum at delphiforums in SBS Baseball, a baseball sim much like UFL. I know some people who were looking for a game just like UFL. I hope that's okay.
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

No problem at all. I'm happy to help.

Posting links for UFL is great! UFL needs all the exposure it can get! :D
KBford

What am I doing wrong?

Post by KBford »

I have unzipped the full DOS version download and moved everything over to my pocket pc (in one directory.) I start PocketDOS, then "cd" to the ufl directory. When I type "START," I get through the first few screens, up to the "Thanks to..." screen, then I get "Property Not found in line No Line Number in module L3...... at address 0866:00E0 . Press any key " at which point it kicks me back out to the prompt.
I get a similar message if I just try to run "UFL" from the prompt instetad of "START." What am I missing? The baseball has been working just fine, so I know the PPC can run a DOS game, but I don't know what's going on with football.

HELP!!!!
Wisnoodles

Post by Wisnoodles »

Try doing what I suggested with the SBS Files but with the UFL ones Make sure you do a soft reset on your device though after the files have been placed. I usually keep a folder of the files backed up somewhere other than where the directory is so I don't have to copy them over to my device if something happens.
KBford

Post by KBford »

Still no luck. I've tried unzipping the download both with the PPC's unzip utility and with the PC's, but I got the same result both times. Everything has been in one foilder, just like SBS and I tried putting the folder both on the storage card as well as on the main memory and still get the same issue. I'm really not doing anything differently than I did with SBS, (which is working,) so I'm really not sure what I could be missing.

I guess just to confirm, the download I'm using was the second one in the archive thread that came accross as "oldufl" but was supposed to be the full version. The first link in the post was for the demo version I believe.
Wisnoodles

Post by Wisnoodles »

I have one folder called DOSPrograms on my storage card, are you using a plugin for BOCHS plug-in for PocketDos? If not, then go get it at the PocketDos Site, it's free. Enable that. then restart PocketDos and make sure your memory is at 6Mb for XMS and set at max for EMS. You can configure that just by tapping on Settings and then Memory. Try this.
KBford

Post by KBford »

I have only been using PocketDOS, not the plugin. What does BOCHS do? I've been running SBS without it. Do you use the plugin with SBS also?

It looks like I'll have to wait until I get home to try that though since the site mentions needing to install via the PC.

Thanks for the help! At least I have something to try now, I was at a loss. Which PPC are you running this on by the way?
Wisnoodles

Post by Wisnoodles »

You don't have to run it via the PC, just put it in your PocketDOS folder and it should show up. Just download the .dll and put it in your pocketdos folder, soft reset then start up Pocketdos go to system and CPU/FPU tab and select BOCHS. This upgrades the DOS to a 486 instead of 186 that DOS is at. I am running a HP hx2495 what do you have?
KBford

Post by KBford »

That got me in! Thanks! Now I'll have to play around with it. I hope it's a slow day here at work!

I have the i-mate JasJar (aka the HTC Universal.) I had Dells prior to this one, but wanted one that was a phone as and a PPC (but not just a smartphone.)
Wisnoodles

Post by Wisnoodles »

I am wondering if anyone else is still playing UFL, it's been really quiet here lately. I still play on my Pocket PC and am currently working in developing a Pocket PC version. Is there any interest in this here? Sorry I have been away for so long I have changed jobs.
JoeMontana

Post by JoeMontana »

Hey there! Yes, I'm still playing with UFL and checking in here on a regular basis to see if anything's happening. Been pretty busy with college final exams and getting ready to start a new job, so not been posting much. Hopefully time will start freeing up again after this week, so should be more active again.