New player

Discuss anything about UFL or The UFL Manager.

Moderators: JoeMontana, Benjamin

Dantalion64

New player

Post by Dantalion64 »

Doesn't seem like there's much action on these boards, but I thought I'd pipe up and say howdy. Just stumbled across the game recently, and I like it very much. I played Andy Dolphin's Coach game for many years (hope those are not forbidden words here!), and I prefer text-based football games to the up-down-left-right-A-B-B-A frenzy of Madden-style games.

I had the "extra game" bug happen to me with the very first game I played :D But overall I'm enjoying myself very much so far.
Benjamin
Site Admin

Re: New player

Post by Benjamin »

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad that you are enjoying the game even with the extra game bug. :) I had never heard of Andy Dolphin's Coach game; it's always good to learn of other text-based football sims as there are not a lot of choices out there!
Dantalion64

Post by Dantalion64 »

Coach is DOS-based. It's till out there, although the current version is not as interesting to me as prior versions, which included custom play design. It was a good blend of the managerial side of football as well as the strategy of play-calling.
Daniel Warner

Post by Daniel Warner »

I ran into that extra game "bug" about 25 times my first season...I had to move my teams around to accommodate the playoffs and get the correct teams to play. for example, my team, the Pittsburgh Maulers who finished 8-8 in reality were 12-10-1 on the standings page. I'm gonna erase the game & re-download because I downloaded from a weird page instead of from this site & I HOPE that'll fix it for next season.
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

Daniel, that is extremely odd. In my experience, the extra game bug is very rare. I'm amazed that it happened so many times as to give a team a record with 23 games! Where did you download UFL from originally? Has the reinstallation made any difference to the extra game bug? I've played seasons upon seasons in my leagues, and it had been about three years since it ever occurred for me until it happened this last weekend.

I am very curious to know if this is still happening for you at that frequency. I've never seen anything close to that frequency before. If this is still happening for you, we might be able to troubleshoot the problem and potentially fix it. This problem has been virtually unfixable before because the frequency of the bug was so rare.
Daniel Warner

Post by Daniel Warner »

I'll get back to you on this Ben....my kid just woke up from her nap. Gotta be a dad now but I definitely will discuss later.
Daniel Warner

Post by Daniel Warner »

I honestly cannot remember where I downloaded the UFL but it DEFINITELY wasn't from the UFL Home Page, which I'm hoping will cure the glitch. What I have planned over the next couple weeks is to just get all the players names & ratings copied down somewhere, uninstall the crap version I have & just start fresh. the problem with "fixing" last season is I had to switch some things around. Philadelphia finished 12-4 and should of been #1 seed in the playoffs, but I ended up getting it based on my ludicrous 12-10-1 record. so what I did is overwrite Pittsburgh, New Jersey Aces (who really won the division at 10-6 but finished as the wildcard) and Philly to their appropriate playoff positions. in reality, I WON the Stellar bowl as, if I switched it all back it would say I beat Oakland 38-24 instead of the Warriors in reality.

regardless, I absolutely refuse to open the standings page when I reinstall, as that seemed to cause all the trouble. the f'd up part is, when I go to Team Stats, it recorded it as it happened. like I said, I occasionally play as other teams than the Maulers and most times it would give me that extra game bug. wish I'd known it could be fixed during the season because I don't want to lose all the records and stuff and was looking forward to season 2 but I can't have it this way.

selah