What is the Tiebreaker?

Discuss anything about UFL or The UFL Manager.

Moderators: JoeMontana, Benjamin

Redspade

What is the Tiebreaker?

Post by Redspade »

I am curious on what the tiebreaker is in a division because i had 3 teams tied at 7-4 The Cowboys, The Wolves, and The Shadows. The Shadows had beaten the Cowboys in overtime and were one and one with the Wolves, but the Shadows were in third place and had higher PF and the middle PA out of the three.
4einc

Re: What is the Tiebreaker?

Post by 4einc »

As far as I know there won't be a tiebreaker... as I've had a few ties before myself in my league and the team that went on was the team that was higher in the standings like say for example with you:

The Cowboys
The Wolves
The Shadows

if that's how the standings look than The Cowboys will be heading to the playoffs.

- Shane -
Benjamin
Site Admin

Re: What is the Tiebreaker?

Post by Benjamin »

Here is how things work as far as I know them:

First off, the order of the teams on the standings page means nothing. Take these example standings into account:

Cowboys 10-6
Cardinals 10-6
49ers 10-6
Seahawks 7-9

Just because the Cowboys are listed first does not mean that they hold the tiebreaker. I don't know how UFL sorts tied teams in the standings, but it definitely does not sort them by who holds the tiebreaker.

Here is the order of the tiebreaking procedure to my knowledge (similar to the real NFL tiebreaking procedure):

1. Head to Head (if the Cowboys and Cardinals were tied at 11-5, and the Cardinals had won both divisional games versus the Cowboys, then the Cardinals would win the division. if the Cardinals and Cowboys split their 2 divisional games, then you move down the tiebreaking procedure)

2. Divisional Win-Loss Record (in the standings example above, let's say the Cowboys went 4-2 in the division, the Cardinals went 3-3, and the 49ers went 5-1. the 49ers would win the division even though they are listed 3rd in the standings because they would hold the tiebreaker.)

3. Conference Win-Loss Record (I assume that this is the next step in the divisional tiebreaker and that it's also used for breaking wild-card berth ties)

Beyond those 3 steps, I'm not sure how UFL would break the tie. It could be PF-PA related or it could be a coin flip. But normally the tie is broken in those first 3 steps of the procedure.