Unreal!

Discuss anything about UFL or The UFL Manager.

Moderators: JoeMontana, Benjamin

armyofone

Unreal!

Post by armyofone »

I was skeptical at first and briefly looked at this game. I just remember somebody else posting on another broad about it. I figured it was just another half attempt to create a football game.

BUT tonight I sat down and played exhibition game using the 2006 NFL rosters that somebody created (heck of a job by the way). I was blown away, I haven't had that good of time playing a football game since the old Sierra days.

I went on and created a 8 team ficitional league and won my first game 30-21, almost blew a 23-0 lead. I would of never imagined it was this good. I'm gonna create a website in the coming days to track my league, thats how much I enjoyed this. The stat reports are also a great touch.

I've read where you can play multiple seasons. Can you alter the incoming draft classes?

Also, I noticed a bunch of roughing the kicker/punter penalties. Is there a way to turn that down a bit?

Great job to all that took part in this production.

Where do I go to donate to the future of this product?

Best,
Chris
Benjamin
Site Admin

Re: Unreal!

Post by Benjamin »

Welcome to the wonderful world of UFL Football! I'm glad you have discovered and are enjoying the game! I have been playing it since the DOS version back in 1996. I look forward to seeing your website!

Let me answer your questions:

1. There is no limit on the amount of seasons you can play, and teams in your league will grow and change throughout the years. Unfortunately, incoming draft classes cannot be altered. In fact, UFL manages all off season tasks for all teams in the league. This would be a disappointment if you are hoping to play the role of general manager. UFL was designed for the coaching perspective only.

2. Too many running into and roughing the kicker penalties is a known bug in UFL. Unfortunately, that cannot be changed until UFL is updated.

3. I greatly appreciate the offer of a donation, but what UFL really needs right now is a Visual Basic 6 programmer. The original programmer, Larry Rodgers, no longer works on the game and I have not been able to locate someone who would be willing work on the game for free. Bjorn was kind enough to do the 2.3 Alpha update, but I have not heard from him since then. I have the game's source code, so once I find someone they will be able to start working right away. A lot of us UFL players have lots of ideas for UFL, but no one who can do the work. :(

Again, welcome to the forum and to UFL. I hope that it brings you many hours of enjoyment as it has me and many others! :D :D
armyofone

Post by armyofone »

Yea, I pretty much figured that you couldn't edit the classes, which is fine. I'm having fun coaching, 2-1 so far. Funny because I think I have the #2 offense and the #1 defense. I give up lots of points, but mostly because of turnovers.

I'll try and get a website going after a complete each season.

Very exciting game.

I also run a online GM league (using Madden 07 - don't laugh). I know some of the guys there have programming experience and will seek out any help. I also know of a guy that creates all kinds of utilities for the Madden series and MAXFB game. I'll also ask him. Can't hurt to ask.
JoeMontana

Post by JoeMontana »

armyofone wrote:BUT tonight I sat down and played exhibition game using the 2006 NFL rosters that somebody created (heck of a job by the way).
Haiiii'thangyou!
:D
Hombre67

Friend of Larry

Post by Hombre67 »

Hello all UFL fans. My name is Stephen Hammell and my best friends name is Larry Rodgers. I am one of the original players and testers of the first UFL game created by Mr. Rodgers way back in 1984. I was in high school and he was my math teacher and computer teacher. We played a UFL league in the classroom after school hours. We then played on the commodore 64, later the Amiga. I got addicted and joined his home league that included family members of Larry. Since then I have become a close friend of Larrys. There is some 20 years between our age, but we have some remarkable stories to tell about the history of the UFL. Our league finally fell apart due to many of us moving away and raising families of our own. To this day I still miss playing UFL. I speak to Larry daily and he still shows no interest in updating the software. Me and another friend of mine pushed him to do many of the things that UFL does today. Well, to make a long story short, I am now going to school to be a programmer. My goal in the next 2-3 years is to update the UFL with a new website, to fix all bugs, examine all request carefully paying special attention not to alter the accuracy of the game, and to make the game playable online between friends. I know the game inside and out, but since the move from the commodore 64, I am not familiar with the code. I will keep in touch with my progress. I personally commend Ben Miller for not removing Larry's name from the software. He put many hours of blood sweat and tears into this game. I spent many hours testing (that was the life!). I didn't like putting all the data in though, (he gave us the dirty work, lol).
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

Stephen I posted a reply to your post in the Visual Basic 6 Programmer Needed topic, but I'll repost it her just in case:

Wow! Nice to meet you, Stephen. I love hearing about the origins of UFL. I have spent more time playing it than any other game. I look forward to the updated version of UFL! Larry did a wonderful job with the DOS version of UFL and the Windows version of UFL. He spent hours transferring the DOS version of UFL into Windows while working out bugs and adding new features that I requested. And, as far as I know, I was the only one who wanted an updated UFL at the time, so he apparently did all that for me. UFL is still the best football simulator in my opinion, and Larry's name should always be on the game because he put so much time and work into it. Again, it's nice to meet you and nice to have a new member to the forum. Tell Larry I said hi!