Bug Reports

Discuss anything about UFL or The UFL Manager.

Moderators: JoeMontana, Benjamin

Benjamin
Site Admin

Re: UFL Bug Reports

Post by Benjamin »

I got these bug reports in an email from a player:
I have found a couple more issues with the UFL game to bring to your attention.

First off, sometimes when a holding penalty is called against the offense, and the penalty is accepted, the distance will be placed in the "Yards to go" box (i.e. 1st and 10 becomes 1st and 20), but the line of scrimmage isn't changed. In other words, if it was 1st and 10 at your own 30, it would then become 1st and 20 but the ball would still be at the 30.

Another issue involves fumble recoveries. The scenario: an XFL game between Los Angeles and Chicago. It's Chicago's ball, 2nd and 6 at their own 32. The Enforcers complete a pass for a 14 yard gain, but there was a fumble recovered by the receiver who caught the pass for a 0 yard gain. Now, ordinarily, the play should probably have resulted in a first down at the 46. Well, the game took the yardage gained from the pass into consideration, but instead of being 1st and 10 at the 46, it was 3rd and 6 at the 46.

Thanks for making this game available and hope I've shed some light on a couple minor problems.
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

This is a bug description that was emailed to me from a player. I have observed the same bug myself. It's essentially a problem where a safety gets wrongly awarded to a team when a penalty also occurs on the safety play:
First of all, in the interest of full disclosure, I play the game as both teams. I run an exhibition game first, and get a printout of the play-by-play. From that, I jot down the plays, and the intended ballcarrier or receiver, and the defense they play against. Then I play the game running both offenses according to the situation at hand.

Well, in this case, the Georgia Force broke the game wide open with 24 second-quarter points and coasted to an easy victory. With 4:43 left in the game, and Georgia up 37-7, Nelson Wynn of the Force punted the ball to Orlando's own 3-yard line. Orlando, which had pretty much abandoned the running game by this point, called a Post Right pass play against a Pass defense. QB DJ Haji was under pressure and sacked in the end zone by LB Sputnik Havner. But, there was a flag on the defense jumping offsides. Now, you'd think that by accepting the penalty, it would be 1st and 5 for the Predators at their own 8. But, in one of those maddening, exasperating, slap-your-forehead-until-it's-redder-then-Peyton Manning's moments, the computer awards Georgia the safety anyway!
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

Two point conversions are not properly logged in any stats or records.
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

This post used to be at the top of the thread. Since the official list of known issues is now a separate topic, I am preserving this post since it contains more details about some of the issues:

1. There are way too many Roughing The Kicker and Running Into The Kicker penalties.

2. If you win the coin toss at the start of game, choose to kick to off, and a FG/Safety/TD is scored on the last play of the first half by either team, you will be forced to kick off to start the 3rd quarter even though you kicked off to start the 1st quarter. This also occurs if either team misses a field goal on the last play of the half.

3. The "Extra Game" bug. This bug is extremely is rare. It is so rare that you could play over 60 complete seasons in a 32 team league and not see the bug a single time. Here is a description of how I have seen this bug occur:

I played a regular season game between the Tigers and the Eagles and UFL displayed the Final Score message box as usual. But after clicking OK, UFL did not display the Main Menu. Instead, it brought up an error message that said: "Path/File access error". I clicked OK on that message and then UFL went back to the main menu. Then I went back to play another season game and it showed that the Tigers-Eagles game had not been played (even though I had just played it). So, I played the game again and it worked fine and did not display an error message after the final score.

But when I went to view the season standings, the Tigers and Eagles both have combined win loss totals of 10 games, even though they should have only played 9. And the points for and points against numbers are incorrect too. So it's like some of the UFL data files only have a record of 9 games (the correct number), while the files that the standings are pulled from have an incorrect number of 10 games.

I assume that UFL would take this "extra game" into account when determining playoff seedings which would create unfair advantages and disadvantages to teams in playoff contention, therefore tainting the fairness and history of the league.

I believe that this bug can also occur without the appearance of a "Path/File access error".

4. If a kickoff or punt is returned for a touchdown on the last play of the game, it is scored and counted twice by the game.

5. When 2 teams finish tied for first place in the same division, and then later meet in the conference championship game, home field advantage is not determined properly. The team that was initially awarded the tiebreaker and the division title is not always given home field advantage even though they should hold the tiebreaker as they had won it before. There is no workaround for this issue but this is a rare and specific circumstance.