Bug Reports

Discuss anything about UFL or The UFL Manager.

Moderators: JoeMontana, Benjamin

Benjamin
Site Admin

Bug Reports

Post by Benjamin »

*Updated on 10/7/2019*

Please report any bugs discovered in UFL And The UFL Manager to this topic. All confirmed bugs are now listed in the Known Issues topic.
JoeMontana

Post by JoeMontana »

I get the kickoff bug on a fairly regular basis, it never occurred to me that it's happening after I score at the end of the 2nd, I must keep an eye open for that again.

Two others that I have noticed:

Injuries - sometimes I have a player pick up an injury with usual "out for 3 quarters" or whatever, and the player doesn't return for the rest of the season. This happens maybe once or twice per season. Fixed in UFL 2.3

Returns - this is a weird one. If I have a game end on a punt return for a TD, it runs the play twice and the team get 2 punt return TDs. Not sure if KRs do it too, but PRs certainly cause this to happen. I've had this happen at least 3 or 4 times, maybe more, in 20 seasons.

Scotty
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

Joe, I am not positive that the kickoff bug only occurs when a score is made at the end of a half. That just seems to be the most common form of the bug and the easiest to reproduce. Also, I'm not sure whether the initial decision to kick or receive has anything to do with this bug. If you discover any more situations in which this happens consistently, please post it here.

I never noticed the injury error. That's a new one!

I have seen that return bug a few times before. It even occured in the old DOS version of UFL. I believe that it also occurs on kickoffs.
Last edited by Benjamin on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeMontana

Post by JoeMontana »

>I never noticed the injury error. That's a new one!

Yeah, I only noticed because I coach my own team's games, and it's a killer losing guys for the season. It wouldn't really become apparent from simming comp v comp games.

>I have seen that return bug a few times before. It even occured in the old DOS version of UFL. I believe that it also occurs on kickoffs.

The only place I've ever seen it happen is on the last play of the game. Thankfully, it hasn't changed the outcome of any matches yet! :wink:
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

I actually do have a league in which I coach now, but I have not seen the injury bug yet.

That is correct. The KO/PR TD bug only occurs at the end of a game. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen it change the outcome of a game either.
Bjorn

Post by Bjorn »

Hi guys,

Work on version 2.3 is moving along at a somewhat slower pace than the first week, now that vacation is over and I got a new job, but I thought it would be interesting for you to know how things are going:

Done:
* Make injuries (and their quarters remaining) visible in Depth Chart, and Player rating Edit.
* The remaining quarters for an injury can be edited.

Yet Todo:
* Add Play-by-play log.

Fixed bugs:
* The "injury" bug mentioned by Joe. Infact, I am surprised no-one has seen more of this bug, because the way it was in the code: The players would never recover from an injury, since each quarter played would not reduce the number of injured quarters remaining.
How to reproduce: In a game coaching a team with an injured player: Use "SUB", and observe how the injured player is auto-removed from play. No matter how many games are played, that player will never heal.

* In some cases, the auto-removal of injured players will forget to check certain players, causing injured players to be in play.
How to reproduce: If there is an injured player in a certain category, like QB, the first player of the next category, like FB, will not be checked, and that player may be kept in the lineup even if he's injured.

If anyone has seen these bugs NOT manifest themselves, it would be very interesting, because that would mean it doesn't work the way I think it does 8)
Killington

Post by Killington »

Good work so far, Bjorn
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

Thank you for the update, Bjorn. Great work! It sounds like you are really getting a handle on some of the code.

:D :D
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

I have found a new bug:

For the conference championship game, home field advantage is not being determined correctly. However, this only seems to occur in a specific situation. Here is what happened in my league:

The Los Angeles Chargers and the Duluth Eskimos both finished tied in their division at 8-8, but the Chargers held the tiebreaker and won the division. But because of the futility of the AFC, the Eskimos' 8-8 record was good enough to earn them a wild card spot, placing both teams in the playoffs. By chance, both teams won their first two playoff games creating an Eskimos-Chargers matchup for the AFC Championship. But home field advantage was awarded to the wild card Eskimos instead of the division champion Chargers.

I have been playing UFL for an awful long time, and I have never had an issue with any of the other playoff rounds. But I do recall 1 or 2 prior instances where the home field advantage in the conference championship seemed incorrect. This was the very first time that I was able to document this bug with 100% certainty.
sutto

Post by sutto »

Quiet here lately.

Any progress to report, Bjorn?
Bjorn

Post by Bjorn »

There is an Alpha Candidate for the 2.3 version that I sent to Ben for compilation, it will probably show up as soon as Ben finds the time to process it.

Most important changes:
* Fixed bug in injury-recovery
* Fixed bug in Auto-removal of injured players
* Added injury visibility in Depth Chart, Substitution Form and Edit Player
* Added simple Play-by-play log function.

Hopefully, you'll like the changes!
sutto

Post by sutto »

Awesome. Can't wait. :D
JoeMontana

Post by JoeMontana »

First bug report from 2.3 alpha:

In Player Edit mode, I am able to edit the stats of an injured player, but when attempting to edit a healthy player, I get Run time error 13, type mismatch. Fixed in UFL 2.5

Edit: done some further checking - this bug has been happening in a league which has already been running, I tried it in an unused league I have in my UFL folder and it's fine.
Bjorn

Post by Bjorn »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the heads-up!
Upon further investigation, it seems I may have been wrong on the theory that the 2.2 version screws up the database persistently for injured players, so I don't think that is the reason.

I can't tell from here what could be the cause, but I could take a look if you send me the data of the player that is troublesome.

I'm very happy that you like the event log - please don't be afraid to comment on the features. If I don't agree, or can't make time to fix something, I'll just say so :-)

/Björn
Benjamin
Site Admin

Re: UFL Bug Reports

Post by Benjamin »

We miss you around here, Bjorn! Thanks again for all of the work that you put into UFL 2.3!