Visual Basic 6 Programmer Needed

Discuss anything about UFL or The UFL Manager.

Moderators: JoeMontana, Benjamin

Benjamin
Site Admin

Visual Basic 6 Programmer Needed

Post by Benjamin »

*Updated on 10/7/2019*

We are looking for a Visual Basic 6 programmer to help fix bugs and add more features to UFL. If you are interested, here are some of details:

1. UFL was originally made in Visual Basic for DOS and was later transferred into VB6, so old-school QBASIC and VBDOS experience would be a big help.

2. The code is fairly complex and poorly commented, so be prepared to spend time familiarizing yourself.

3. Björn Aspernäs learned the code and implemented bugfixes and improvements that resulted in UFL 2.3 back in 2006, so I know that it can be done. I also made the fixes and improvements that resulted in UFL 2.7 in 2013.

4. I am not interested in monetizing the game in any way, shape, or form. This includes advertising of all kinds. By order of the original creator, UFL will always be freeware.

5. I will remain responsible for compiling and distributing the game.

6. I want the game to remain a VB6 application. Porting the game to another language or a newer version of VB would be such a tremendous undertaking. If you have the time and skills to help, I would prefer that we work with the existing code as it is. A fair portion of the wishlist items are relatively simple and would not require the features of a modern programming language to implement.

7. A volunteer would be fantastic, but I am willing pay out of pocket for a developer to perform updates. Please contact me at pfdogs@gmail.com if you are interested in helping!

I have sent the source code to several individuals who wanted to try their hand at performing updates throughout the years, but nothing came of those incidents. I may consider posting this project to some rent-a-coder sites to see if I can find someone!
4einc

Re: Visual Basic 6 Programmer Needed

Post by 4einc »

Hey Ben;

I got a HUGE idea for UFL and I would like to have the opportunity to get the source code from ya an be able to do what i want with it in hopes of making it huge, as I know the huge idea I have is a 50/50 shot that somethin will happen but I would like to give it that shot.

If your interested in takin a chance with UFL drop me a email and let me know where I can download the source (I say download cause I'm currently on dial up really slow dial up at that)

4everinc@gmail.com

Peace;
Shane
http://4einc.cjb.net
Last edited by 4einc on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

May I ask what your big idea is? :D
4einc

Post by 4einc »

Sure you may, well I've been playing UFL for quite sometime but I went out and bought Sports Mogul's football game (and baseball but thats beside the point) only cause I realized like you guys, you want to get a ton of work done on it but have no time to do it, well can I make a suggestion for what my big idea is (even though I know you guys will prob shoot it down) things get summed up in two easy words "Open Source"
goto:
http://sourceforge.net/

sign up for an account, it's a community website of programmers looking to help out on projects FOR FREE so you go up and drop the code as a "Open Source Project" and kick back and see what progresses...
No harm can come of it so why don't you guys give it a shot ?
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I am a VB6 Programmer, but do not have the time to help on your project. I do play the game and find it quite interesting. As a programmer I would love to have the source and to develop a RYO game (roll your own) mods set up by user input/entry in the creation of the league.

I read the reply about the open source project and I find this interesting. I would not do it if I spent a lot of time writing the code and have been distributing this as a freeware program. I would release the program but not the game engine. Some programmers would definitely take this and put it in their own game and have it a for profit (not free) game. I had this happen with a some of my code a while back.

Keep the code and just develope the game at your pace.
Hombre67

Post by Hombre67 »

Hello all UFL fans. My name is Stephen Hammell and my best friends name is Larry Rodgers. I am one of the original players and testers of the first UFL game created by Mr. Rodgers way back in 1984. I was in high school and he was my math teacher and computer teacher. We played a UFL league in the classroom after school hours. We then played on the commodore 64, later the Amiga. I got addicted and joined his home league that included family members of Larry. Since then I have become a close friend of Larrys. There is some 20 years between our age, but we have some remarkable stories to tell about the history of the UFL. Our league finally fell apart due to many of us moving away and raising families of our own. To this day I still miss playing UFL. I speak to Larry daily and he still shows no interest in updating the software. Me and another friend of mine pushed him to do many of the things that UFL does today. Well, to make a long story short, I am now going to school to be a programmer. My goal in the next 2-3 years is to update the UFL with a new website, to fix all bugs, examine all request carefully paying special attention not to alter the accuracy of the game, and to make the game playable online between friends. I know the game inside and out, but since the move from the commodore 64, I am not familiar with the code. I will keep in touch with my progress. I personally commend Ben Miller for not removing Larry's name from the software. He put many hours of blood sweat and tears into this game. I spent many hours testing (that was the life!). I didn't like putting all the data in though, (he gave us the dirty work, lol).
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

Wow! Nice to meet you, Stephen. I love hearing about the origins of UFL. I have spent more time playing it than any other game. I look forward to the updated version of UFL! Larry did a wonderful job with the DOS version of UFL and the Windows version of UFL. He spent hours transferring the DOS version of UFL into Windows while working out bugs and adding new features that I requested. And, as far as I know, I was the only one who wanted an updated UFL at the time, so he apparently did all that for me. UFL is still the best football simulator in my opinion, and Larry's name should always be on the game because he put so much time and work into it. Again, it's nice to meet you and nice to have a new member to the forum. Tell Larry I said hi!
jccox

Post by jccox »

Great game, i would love to add any of my, vb skills to this program.
If you would like, to send me the source ,i will start when i have free time.
My email is jccox02@msn.com
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

Thanks for the offer jccox! I'll email you the source.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

I just stumbled across the UFL. Been interested in text based football sims ever since the days for FPS Football. I've been programming in VB6 ever since I care to remember. If your still willing, I'd be very interested to take a look at the source code and see what I can offer in my spare time. You can reach me at my email ponyboy_nd@yahoo.com
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

ponyboy wrote:I just stumbled across the UFL. Been interested in text based football sims ever since the days for FPS Football. I've been programming in VB6 ever since I care to remember. If your still willing, I'd be very interested to take a look at the source code and see what I can offer in my spare time. You can reach me at my email ponyboy_nd@yahoo.com
I got your email and replied with the source. Thanks! :)
JoeMontana

Post by JoeMontana »

Hey, glad to see some activity around here again. I actually found myself firing up UFL for the first time in a few months last Saturday night, and getting re-enthused about it. I love how I can take a few months away from it, and then just come back and get instantly hooked again.
Benjamin
Site Admin

Post by Benjamin »

JoeMontana wrote:Hey, glad to see some activity around here again. I actually found myself firing up UFL for the first time in a few months last Saturday night, and getting re-enthused about it. I love how I can take a few months away from it, and then just come back and get instantly hooked again.
Hey Joe, I'm glad you're still enjoying UFL! I'm still a full-fledged addict with 16 leagues. :D